Rene Diaz
I have had my current desktop for about 6 months now. Everything has been great until just recently.
It has an Samsung SSD boot drive, a WD 500GB mechanical drive, Asus z87-a motherboard, 4th gen i5 processor, 16GB of ram, two GTX 670s SLI'd, a simple LG optical disk, corsair CX750M, and 4 fans in a Lian Li case.
The issue I've had once before and just now a couple minutes ago is this: there's a slight squeaking/buzzing sound that occurs for a few minutes, then disappears. I'm not sure how to describe the sound, as I've never quite heard anything like it. When it occurs, my desktop's Windows 7 Aero theme disappears. The task bar becomes a solid color and the graphics seem to be less responsive when minimizing windows, switching tabs, opening folders, etc.
This has only happened twice before, the last time being about a month ago, and only happens for a few minutes. What is the most likely cause of this? Where should I begin diagnosing and testing for this? Any experience and advice would be welcomed. Thanks in advance
This problem is intermittent, it comes and goes, its not always there. It has only occurred as I am lightly browsing the web. I will attempt to fully disassemble and clean everything tomorrow to see if that helps. However only time will tell if that was the issue. In the meantime, are there any extensive scans or tests I can run on my components to TRY and get some answers? Thanks for the replies,
I am the one who built this computer. I hand picked all the parts and put it all together. I won't do anything extreme like reseat the CPU (mostly cause I don't have extra thermal compound atm) or disassemble the GPU, but I will double check to make sure everything is connected, seated, and screwed correctly.
The noise I am hearing is something between a constant mouse squeak and a constant buzzing. It has since stopped, but of course I am worried it will come back just like last time.
Answer
Hi Rene
================
Added in response to asker's subsequent clarifications:
You will almost certainly not need to unseat the heat sink to check, clean or replace the CPU fan. Almost all modern CPU fans either click into place or can be unscrewed and separated from the heat sink assembly. If there is caked dirt or grime over and in between the surface area expansion heat dissipation fins of the heat sink, these can be cleaned without unseating the heat sink or the CPU, using a combination of cloth, compressed air and vacuum cleaner, as described below.
The noise you describe sounds mechanical and the most likely explanation is dust/grime interfering with the rotation fan bearings or something occasionally very lightly touching touching the fan blades - a cable, a cable tie tip or some dirt or grime on the inner surface of one of the fans. The SSD should not make any noise that is discernible from outside the case, as it has no moving parts.
There is a possibility that the noise could be from the vibration/oscillation of a loose screw or motherboard stander, so *before* doing any disassembly, check every single screw (case panel screws, external PSU screws, motherboard screws/standers, HDD screws, optical drive screws, card reader screws, internal and external fan screws) for looseness or movement. Also check the inside of the case (by lifting it up and shaking it and tilting it from side to side) for an errant screw rattling around at the bottom of the case or under the motherboard.
==============
Previous answer:
You don't say what the PC is typically doing when the noise occurs. Is it idle? Is it performing undemanding tasks such as web browsing or word processing? Is it streaming video? Is it playing media in the optical dive(s)? Is it video editing? Is it composing music? is it gaming? Establishing what the PC is doing when the noise occurs could help isolate the likely source of the sound.
There are only a limited number of mechanical devices to eliminate:
the CPU fan;
the case cooling fans;
the PSU cooling fans;
the PSU motor;
the graphics cards cooling fans;
the WD 500Gb hdd;
the optical drive(s)
Disconnect all cables. Lay the PC flat on its side, open side up. Disconnect the power cables for the following components:
Wd 500Gb hdd;
both graphics cards;
all case cooling fans;
the optical drive(s);
Reconnect the cables, using the onboard graphics port. Power up the PC. Perform the function that typically causes the noise to occur. Listen by ear to the CPU fan and the PSU, in order to isolate or eliminate each as the source of the noise. Inspect each of the fans for dust and grime and clean if dirty. Power down the PC, disconnect the power cable, reconnect each of the disconnected devices one-by-one, reconnecting power and powering up, to test and isolate or eliminate each one as the source of the noise.
The causes of the symptoms you describe are likely to be one or some combination of the following:
overheating inside the case due to cooling inefficiency affecting the performance of the graphics cards [improve case cooling efficiency with cable tied internal cable management, cleaned, replaced or an increased number of case cooling fans];
inefficient cooling of the CPU fan reducing processing efficiency [clean or replace CPU Fan or heat sink];
faulty bearings in the optical drive(s) affecting rotational efficiency [replace optical drive(s)];
a faulty bearing in a fan [replace the component if the bearings cannot be safely lubricated with WD40 delivered with a thin tubed nozzle attachment for accuracy, such as with case fans and detachable graphics card fans];
a cable impeding a spinning fan creating the sound and also reducing its cooling efficiency [reposition components or use cable ties to improve cable management];
grit or caked grime interfering with the rotation of fan blades creating the sound and reducing effective cooling [power down and disconnect all cables and clean the inside of the PC thoroughly but carefully with a combination of a compressed air canister and a vacuum cleaner and a very lightly water sprinkled, slightly moist, lint free cloth];
a faulty rotational motor causing the sound and reducing hdd platter spin speed or power delivery (replace faulty hdd or PSU).
I hope this helps.
Rgds
Stoic
Hi Rene
================
Added in response to asker's subsequent clarifications:
You will almost certainly not need to unseat the heat sink to check, clean or replace the CPU fan. Almost all modern CPU fans either click into place or can be unscrewed and separated from the heat sink assembly. If there is caked dirt or grime over and in between the surface area expansion heat dissipation fins of the heat sink, these can be cleaned without unseating the heat sink or the CPU, using a combination of cloth, compressed air and vacuum cleaner, as described below.
The noise you describe sounds mechanical and the most likely explanation is dust/grime interfering with the rotation fan bearings or something occasionally very lightly touching touching the fan blades - a cable, a cable tie tip or some dirt or grime on the inner surface of one of the fans. The SSD should not make any noise that is discernible from outside the case, as it has no moving parts.
There is a possibility that the noise could be from the vibration/oscillation of a loose screw or motherboard stander, so *before* doing any disassembly, check every single screw (case panel screws, external PSU screws, motherboard screws/standers, HDD screws, optical drive screws, card reader screws, internal and external fan screws) for looseness or movement. Also check the inside of the case (by lifting it up and shaking it and tilting it from side to side) for an errant screw rattling around at the bottom of the case or under the motherboard.
==============
Previous answer:
You don't say what the PC is typically doing when the noise occurs. Is it idle? Is it performing undemanding tasks such as web browsing or word processing? Is it streaming video? Is it playing media in the optical dive(s)? Is it video editing? Is it composing music? is it gaming? Establishing what the PC is doing when the noise occurs could help isolate the likely source of the sound.
There are only a limited number of mechanical devices to eliminate:
the CPU fan;
the case cooling fans;
the PSU cooling fans;
the PSU motor;
the graphics cards cooling fans;
the WD 500Gb hdd;
the optical drive(s)
Disconnect all cables. Lay the PC flat on its side, open side up. Disconnect the power cables for the following components:
Wd 500Gb hdd;
both graphics cards;
all case cooling fans;
the optical drive(s);
Reconnect the cables, using the onboard graphics port. Power up the PC. Perform the function that typically causes the noise to occur. Listen by ear to the CPU fan and the PSU, in order to isolate or eliminate each as the source of the noise. Inspect each of the fans for dust and grime and clean if dirty. Power down the PC, disconnect the power cable, reconnect each of the disconnected devices one-by-one, reconnecting power and powering up, to test and isolate or eliminate each one as the source of the noise.
The causes of the symptoms you describe are likely to be one or some combination of the following:
overheating inside the case due to cooling inefficiency affecting the performance of the graphics cards [improve case cooling efficiency with cable tied internal cable management, cleaned, replaced or an increased number of case cooling fans];
inefficient cooling of the CPU fan reducing processing efficiency [clean or replace CPU Fan or heat sink];
faulty bearings in the optical drive(s) affecting rotational efficiency [replace optical drive(s)];
a faulty bearing in a fan [replace the component if the bearings cannot be safely lubricated with WD40 delivered with a thin tubed nozzle attachment for accuracy, such as with case fans and detachable graphics card fans];
a cable impeding a spinning fan creating the sound and also reducing its cooling efficiency [reposition components or use cable ties to improve cable management];
grit or caked grime interfering with the rotation of fan blades creating the sound and reducing effective cooling [power down and disconnect all cables and clean the inside of the PC thoroughly but carefully with a combination of a compressed air canister and a vacuum cleaner and a very lightly water sprinkled, slightly moist, lint free cloth];
a faulty rotational motor causing the sound and reducing hdd platter spin speed or power delivery (replace faulty hdd or PSU).
I hope this helps.
Rgds
Stoic
Help with translation from Japanese to English?
Q. Can somebody help me translate this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOXNbO7ssc8
Full transcription would be perfect but a summary is also welcomed.
Many thanks,
Louise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOXNbO7ssc8
Full transcription would be perfect but a summary is also welcomed.
Many thanks,
Louise
Answer
Here's what I transcribed. It's too long to be accepted by Yahoo! as one answer, so it lacks the last part (2:40-3:07). I'm sending you the rest by email via your profile page:
ãã£ã¨ããã«ã«â¦çãããããã
Finally I arrived at... the hotel.
ãããããããã¨â¦ã©ã£ã¡ãåãã¦ããã®ã ãããï¼
Holding the camera this way... which side am I facing?
ããããã¹ã«ã¼ã â¦ä½ã¨ã¬ã©ã¹å¼µãã
This is the bathroom... who would have thought it's glass-faced?
ãããã³ãä»ãã¦ãã¾ã¼ãã
And here's the kitchen.
[noise] ãã¼ã¨ãã¯ã©ã·ãã¯ãããã¦ããã®ã¯ã
ã¾ããå¥ã«çç±ã¯ãªããã§ããã©ãã
ä½ãLGã®ãã¬ãã«CDãã¬ã¤ã¤ã¼ã¾ã§ [unclear] ã¦ããã¨ããã
Well, I'm playing classical music, umm, for no specific reason, but [this room is furnished with] an LG TV and a CD player.
ã§ããã©ã³ãããã£ã¦â¦
And this is the balcony...
ãã©ã³ãã®æã§ã¿ãã³ãå¸ããããã«ãªã£ã¦ãã¦ã
æ®å¿µãªãããªã¼ã·ã£ã³ãã¥ã¼ã§ã¯ãããã¾ãããã
é常ã«â¦æºè¶³ããã¦ãã¾ã¼ããããã«ã¡ã¯ã
I can smoke on the balcony, so although it's not [a room with] ocean view, but I'm very... satisfied, hello.
ç²ããâ¦
I'm exhausted...
仿¥ã¯ãããæ¥æ¬æéã§è¨ãæ6æããããã
ãããã¼ã£ã¨æ©ãã¦æ©ãã¦â¦
Today I just walked and walked, starting around six o'clock in the morning Japan time...
ä½ã¨ããã¹åãä¸åééãã¦éãã¦ãã¾ãã
å»¶ããããã30åã»ã©ãã´ãã´ãã¨ãã£ãªã¼ã
å¼ã£å¼µããªãããæ³£ãããã«ãªããªããã
ç§ã¯ããã¾ã§çãã¾ããã
I inadvertently got off the bus one stop short, and after walking for as long as about thirty minutes, dragging the roller bag, almost crying, I [finally] got here.
â¦ã¨ããæããªã®ã§ãæ©éã風åã«å¥ãã
ãã ãã ãã¦ããã¨ãã§ãã
...so that's pretty much what happened, I took a bath, and am just relaxing.
â¦ã¨ããæããããã¼ã¨ãå®å¨ã«åã»ã©ã
éä¸ã§åãã¦ãã¾ãã¾ããã®ã§ãç¶ããã
...where was I, umm, just a while ago the video got completely cut off, so let me now restart.
ãã ãã ãã¦ãããã§ãããã風åã«å¥ã£ã
æã«ããã®ããã©ã¤ã³ãã®æã«â¦ãã®ãããã®
ã³ãã¯ãã¼ããããããã£ããã£ã¦â¦
So I'm now relaxing, but when I took the bath, well, on the blind... was a cockroach, about this big...
â¦æ°ãã¤ããå¥ã£ã¦ãã¾ããä½ã¨ã³ãã¯ãã¼ãããã¨
15ã»ã³ããããã®ä½ç½®ã§å¯¾é¢ããã¨ããäºä»¶ãèµ·ããã¾ããã
... but I went into the bathroom without knowing, so it happened that I faced the cockroach as closely as about fifteen centimeters from it.
ã§ããã¾ãã«ããã¯ãªãã¦ããã®ã¾ã¾ããã®ãå»ä¸ã®
æé¤æ©ãããã¦ãããå§ããã«ããã¡ãã£ã¨ã大ããª
ã³ãã¯ãã¼ãããããã§ããã©ãã£ã¦è¨ã£ããã
ãå§ãããæé¤æ©ã§å¸ãåã£ã¦ããã¾ããã
And I was so surprised that I called for a young woman vacuum-cleaning the corridor: "Look, there's a big cockroach", then she got rid of it with the vaccum cleaner.
女ã®äººã£ã¦ãå¼·ãã§ããã
Women are strong, aren't they?
Here's what I transcribed. It's too long to be accepted by Yahoo! as one answer, so it lacks the last part (2:40-3:07). I'm sending you the rest by email via your profile page:
ãã£ã¨ããã«ã«â¦çãããããã
Finally I arrived at... the hotel.
ãããããããã¨â¦ã©ã£ã¡ãåãã¦ããã®ã ãããï¼
Holding the camera this way... which side am I facing?
ããããã¹ã«ã¼ã â¦ä½ã¨ã¬ã©ã¹å¼µãã
This is the bathroom... who would have thought it's glass-faced?
ãããã³ãä»ãã¦ãã¾ã¼ãã
And here's the kitchen.
[noise] ãã¼ã¨ãã¯ã©ã·ãã¯ãããã¦ããã®ã¯ã
ã¾ããå¥ã«çç±ã¯ãªããã§ããã©ãã
ä½ãLGã®ãã¬ãã«CDãã¬ã¤ã¤ã¼ã¾ã§ [unclear] ã¦ããã¨ããã
Well, I'm playing classical music, umm, for no specific reason, but [this room is furnished with] an LG TV and a CD player.
ã§ããã©ã³ãããã£ã¦â¦
And this is the balcony...
ãã©ã³ãã®æã§ã¿ãã³ãå¸ããããã«ãªã£ã¦ãã¦ã
æ®å¿µãªãããªã¼ã·ã£ã³ãã¥ã¼ã§ã¯ãããã¾ãããã
é常ã«â¦æºè¶³ããã¦ãã¾ã¼ããããã«ã¡ã¯ã
I can smoke on the balcony, so although it's not [a room with] ocean view, but I'm very... satisfied, hello.
ç²ããâ¦
I'm exhausted...
仿¥ã¯ãããæ¥æ¬æéã§è¨ãæ6æããããã
ãããã¼ã£ã¨æ©ãã¦æ©ãã¦â¦
Today I just walked and walked, starting around six o'clock in the morning Japan time...
ä½ã¨ããã¹åãä¸åééãã¦éãã¦ãã¾ãã
å»¶ããããã30åã»ã©ãã´ãã´ãã¨ãã£ãªã¼ã
å¼ã£å¼µããªãããæ³£ãããã«ãªããªããã
ç§ã¯ããã¾ã§çãã¾ããã
I inadvertently got off the bus one stop short, and after walking for as long as about thirty minutes, dragging the roller bag, almost crying, I [finally] got here.
â¦ã¨ããæããªã®ã§ãæ©éã風åã«å¥ãã
ãã ãã ãã¦ããã¨ãã§ãã
...so that's pretty much what happened, I took a bath, and am just relaxing.
â¦ã¨ããæããããã¼ã¨ãå®å¨ã«åã»ã©ã
éä¸ã§åãã¦ãã¾ãã¾ããã®ã§ãç¶ããã
...where was I, umm, just a while ago the video got completely cut off, so let me now restart.
ãã ãã ãã¦ãããã§ãããã風åã«å¥ã£ã
æã«ããã®ããã©ã¤ã³ãã®æã«â¦ãã®ãããã®
ã³ãã¯ãã¼ããããããã£ããã£ã¦â¦
So I'm now relaxing, but when I took the bath, well, on the blind... was a cockroach, about this big...
â¦æ°ãã¤ããå¥ã£ã¦ãã¾ããä½ã¨ã³ãã¯ãã¼ãããã¨
15ã»ã³ããããã®ä½ç½®ã§å¯¾é¢ããã¨ããäºä»¶ãèµ·ããã¾ããã
... but I went into the bathroom without knowing, so it happened that I faced the cockroach as closely as about fifteen centimeters from it.
ã§ããã¾ãã«ããã¯ãªãã¦ããã®ã¾ã¾ããã®ãå»ä¸ã®
æé¤æ©ãããã¦ãããå§ããã«ããã¡ãã£ã¨ã大ããª
ã³ãã¯ãã¼ãããããã§ããã©ãã£ã¦è¨ã£ããã
ãå§ãããæé¤æ©ã§å¸ãåã£ã¦ããã¾ããã
And I was so surprised that I called for a young woman vacuum-cleaning the corridor: "Look, there's a big cockroach", then she got rid of it with the vaccum cleaner.
女ã®äººã£ã¦ãå¼·ãã§ããã
Women are strong, aren't they?
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar