best upright vacuum cleaner hepa image
jon
I have two indoor Maine coon cats, both about 4 years old. I've been trying to keep odors under control, but seem to be failing. They shed a lot of fur and dander. They also seem to produce a fair amount of litter box smell.
Litter box
I've tried clay, clumping, saw dust and crystals
I've also tried adding baking soda, carpet deodorizer and activated charcoal
The most effective mix appears to be crystals with crystal-sized activated charcoal added. I also place a baking soda fridge box on top of the litter box and use the deodorizer inserts. The litter still smells...
Air
I'm using two air purifiers, replacing the air about once every 5 minutes. One is a HEPA. He other is slightly less efficient than HEPA. They also use activated carbon, ionic and ozone generation filters. The air still smells like dander, cat feces and urine, in that order. I additionally deodorize the air using isopropyl alcohol. I've tried zero odor pet, febreze, etc in the past. The rubbing alcohol seems to work better.
Floors
I vacuum once a week with a good upright vacuum with a HEPA filter. This generally removes about three cat volumes worth of fur. I also run a neato robotic vacuum daily. The neato removes about a pint-sized clump of fur per day. I clean hard surfaces with a mixture of water, dish soap and bleach. I shampoo the carpets every few months. Apartment of about 1500sf.
Grooming
I use an oster pro grooming tool (with the curved teeth) regularly, as his seems to work best of all the tools I've tried. I also bathe the cats weekly, using hertz cat shampoo. Waterless shampoo doesn't seem to work very well.
Food
I've tried different cat foods. Currently I'm using evolve cat food. I've also tried he ranges of iams, purina, etc. Evolve seems to work best so far.
Every morning, after scrubbing thoroughly in the shower, I smell strongly of cat dander. The cats didn't always produce such odors. They groom themselves and don't spray. Any ideas for odor causes or solutions?
Dander seems to be the big issue now, and the smell from cat saliva, I think. I can't contain those with the litter box, as that's not where they're coming from. The smell seems to permeate. Any suggestions on what to do? I'd rather not go to work every day smelling like a cat, or have everything around me smell like one.
They are male cats, but I've smelled spraying before, and am fairly certain that's not happening. This is more like cat body odor that gets into everything. It's been getting progressively worse over the past 6 months.
I've had cats all my life, and never had a problem like this.
Answer
Could they have tooth/gum problems? I'd bring them to the vet and check that out, it could be a source of bad odors.
I've noticed that my parents/sisters litter boxes smell worse than ours, and I think it is because I buy extra-deep boxes and keep them very full. At least 4 inches of litter. The boxes also have covers with a door-opening.
I've had cats for years, and the only times I've noticed a smell problem when was they had health problems - such as a Urinary Track Infection. So try bringing them to the vet and see if they can get to the root of the problem.
Good luck!
Could they have tooth/gum problems? I'd bring them to the vet and check that out, it could be a source of bad odors.
I've noticed that my parents/sisters litter boxes smell worse than ours, and I think it is because I buy extra-deep boxes and keep them very full. At least 4 inches of litter. The boxes also have covers with a door-opening.
I've had cats for years, and the only times I've noticed a smell problem when was they had health problems - such as a Urinary Track Infection. So try bringing them to the vet and see if they can get to the root of the problem.
Good luck!
What's the best vacuum cleaner for my type of house.?
Duke
I have a dog whose hair gets everywhere, I have a few short carpet/rugs, and I have hardwood and linoleum.
I just want to know what is the best vacuum cleaner for this type of house for a reasonable price that lasts, because I have spent money on three other vacuums that broke because of their belt or they didn't pick up the dirt on the floor to begin with. Thanks!
Answer
We have 4 cats and 3 dogs in the house so I know pet hair! The vacuum that has held up the best and done the best job for us is the Bissell Healthy Home. It's got advanced HEPA filtration to take the dust, dirt, pollen & pet dander out of the return air stream, tons of suction, easy to empty and clean dirt collection cup, well designed tools. 5 year warranty also.
It's got a similar filtering technology to Dyson with the multiple "cyclones" so it really spins the dirt and hair out and into the collection cup.
If you watch sales, you can pick it up for around $200; normal price is around $250.
None of your uprights that do rugs well will do well on bare floors but there is a cheap and easy way around that. Canister vacs do bare floors better but seriously lack the suction for carpet. Sears sells a generic bare floor brush w/adapter that fits right on the extension wand of the Bissell and you have turned your upright into a canister vac. This really gets the dust, hair and dirt off the hard surfaced floors. Cost about $13.00.
I'm so pleased with the one I have that I am considering purchasing one for the upstairs or moving the downstairs one up and using the new one downstairs. It just plain works a lot better, faster, easier than the sweeper I have upstairs. Old house, steep steps and a problematic back make carrying the thing up and down an issue. And it's never where you need it! LOL
We use our vacuums hard because of the animals. We usually vacuum every other day and all the upholstered furniture gets it about once a week too.
We have 4 cats and 3 dogs in the house so I know pet hair! The vacuum that has held up the best and done the best job for us is the Bissell Healthy Home. It's got advanced HEPA filtration to take the dust, dirt, pollen & pet dander out of the return air stream, tons of suction, easy to empty and clean dirt collection cup, well designed tools. 5 year warranty also.
It's got a similar filtering technology to Dyson with the multiple "cyclones" so it really spins the dirt and hair out and into the collection cup.
If you watch sales, you can pick it up for around $200; normal price is around $250.
None of your uprights that do rugs well will do well on bare floors but there is a cheap and easy way around that. Canister vacs do bare floors better but seriously lack the suction for carpet. Sears sells a generic bare floor brush w/adapter that fits right on the extension wand of the Bissell and you have turned your upright into a canister vac. This really gets the dust, hair and dirt off the hard surfaced floors. Cost about $13.00.
I'm so pleased with the one I have that I am considering purchasing one for the upstairs or moving the downstairs one up and using the new one downstairs. It just plain works a lot better, faster, easier than the sweeper I have upstairs. Old house, steep steps and a problematic back make carrying the thing up and down an issue. And it's never where you need it! LOL
We use our vacuums hard because of the animals. We usually vacuum every other day and all the upholstered furniture gets it about once a week too.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar